Friday, February 26, 2010

Fish Fry reviews: Redemptorist in KCMO

It’s Friday in Lent. That means Fish Fries! This year, departing from tradition, we attended a fish fry in Kansas City, MO. It just happened that the first Friday of Lent, that’s where we were. I was anxious to take in the all-you-can-eat shrimp at Redemptorist Parish. It was as good as I remember. The shrimp was perfect. The sides were great--even the home made pizza. But, not wanting to take up too much room, I stuck to two subsequent servings of shrimp only.

I remember going here in my youth. The Ancient Order of Hibernians puts on the “fry”, which is really a boil. They provided ample servings of shrimp, boiled potatoes, green beans, corn on the cob and pizza on your first run through the line, for $12 per person. If you wanted the all-you-can-eat version, it was only $3 more and worth it.

The judging by our esteemed panel: myself, my spouse, my daughter, her boyfriend, two friends and their daughters gave the over-all grade of 4 starfish. Great food. Great value (quantity/quality v. price). Great ambience in the Bishop Sullivan Banquet Room. Drawbacks: Styrofoam and disposable utensils. They could have earned a bonus with a little Gaelic dance or music.

This week: St. Elizabeth Mother of John the Baptist. 4330 Shreve, Saint Louis, MO. Chef Calvin and students from L’École Culinaire will be serving up some great food. This will be our first review of the “fry” at this parish. So, stay tuned.

Peace,

Mike Baldwin

Posted via email from michaelbaldwin

No comments:

Post a Comment