Monday, September 21, 2009

A Nearly Perfect Day

"Almost like heaven on earth." That is how I often describe the days when my Downtown Teens and our friends work and play and break bread together. I heard a Jesuit friend of mine died over the weekend. His legacy to me was his famous words: "It's a good life". My family and friends often hear me say those two things: "Like heaven on earth" and "I have a great life".


I have been writing about Volunteer Days at Little House. We have had two great weekends of working with friends, the Downtown Teens and residents of Little House to make our Little House a little homier.

This 130 year-old home is fraught with many items of routine maintenance along with the deferred maintenance necessary due to age. The battle is constantly to make the Little House feel warmer, homier and cozier to the residents who share housing in our four-family. We hope to instill a family atmosphere for our residents and for our Teens. Like with every family, even the best occasions can be marred by a single incident. In this case, after a long day of fixing and painting, it was discovered that one of our friend's had been the victim of a crime--the loss of money from her purse.


How does one deal with the sour note struck at the end of a beautiful symphony? Does it ruin the whole symphony for you? If I let it, it does for me. I am trying to contemplate all of the good of the weekend and put the sour incident in that context. I can't ignore the perpetrator. I want to make the next performance perfect, so I must address the incident. But how? I want to give an opportunity for the one or ones who marred an otherwise perfect day, to do the right thing. I want to find a way to make it easier for them to do the right thing.

It is not the first time that I have dealt with the darker side of human behavior. I certainly have to deal with it in my own life. I recognize many mitigating factors for those who feel they have less, to want more. I don't rationalize the behavior on my part (not for long anyway) and don't want to rationalize or excuse bad behavior on the part of those with whom I share my life.

Many scenarios leap to mind.These scenarios range from denial to acceptance. I try to convince myself, that the victim was wrong about the loss of money, or that they will discover it soon. I think that perhaps someone I don't know, slipped in and committed the crime. I think about who has motive. Who had opportunity? Who would do such a thing? Who is still so disconnected from me, that they would show that kind of disrespect for my friend? I have rehearsed several homilies on the topic of honesty in my head. I share my heartache over the event with those whom I respect and try to gain from their insights. I speculate as to who might have done this crime. My feelings take me from hurt to angry to disappointed to sad, back to hurt. My response to my feelings range from revenge to avoidance of conflict--shutting down. In my desire for revenge, I want to "fire" all of the Teens and evict my neighbors. To avoid conflict I want to withhold trust and not put myself in that situation again.


I am reminded that I am a parental/teacher figure in the life of our Teens. I am also a neighbor/landlord to those who live with us. How do I manage these different roles to the benefit of those who I am here to serve? As any parent will tell you, it is more fun to be a friend rather than authority figure. I struggle to maintain a balance. I fail miserably.

I mentioned breaking bread. When I use that phrase, it puts me in remembrance of the oft quoted Dorothy Day, founder of the Catholic Worker movement. Dorothy said in various words and ways:
"The most significant thing about The Catholic Worker is poverty, some say. The most significant thing is community, others say. We are not alone anymore. But the final word is love. At times it has been, in the words of Father Zossima [a character in The Brothers Karamozov], a harsh and dreadful thing, and our very faith in love has been tried through fire. We cannot love God unless we love each other, and to love we must know each other. We know Him in the breaking of the bread, and we know each other in the breaking of the bread, and we are not alone anymore. Heaven is a banquet and life is a banquet, too, even with a crust, where there is companionship."


Help me know. Help me not be alone. Help me to let others know they are not alone. Help me share that Heavenly banquet on earth.

I welcome your insights and responses to help me relate this to my Teens and neighbors this coming weekend for our last "Volunteer Day" at Little House. Please join us if you can. 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. to know, to love and to banquet together, even with the crust.

8 comments:

  1. There are few contemporary extra-Biblical references to Jesus. One is by a Roman soldier who writes in a letter, "There is a teacher named Jesus who is creating quite a stir. No one has seen him laugh, but I understand he cries alot." Why does God cry over our shortcomings. Not because we have broken some rule, but because when we injure one another, we ultimately hurt ourselves far worse. To weep over the self-inflicted pain of humankind, is to touch the heart of God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian H. Marston said (on Facebook)...Crap like this happened fairly often at YouthBuild, even though I took great pains to try to make YouthBuild a place where crap like this didn't happen.

    One particular instance almost drove me to quit. But I didn't. And in that way, I won. And I like to think the other students who weren't involved won. Sort of a macho "Bring it! I'm tougher than you" response and sort of a morally optimistic "Goodness will triumph over evil" response.

    It was hard, though. Really hard.... Read More

    I've had stuff stolen from me at least a couple of times when I was trying to do the right thing and help people out. I still try to do the right thing anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ed. BTW, Happy Birthday!

    Thanks Brian. I know of what you speak. We have been doing the Downtown Teen Program for 9 years now and subsidizing housing at Little House for 5 years after 8 years with subsidized housing with PIDC.

    Fortunately, the good does overcome. We have more good days than bad.

    How did you handle the situation with the guilty individuals?

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my life at times I have been encouraged to "let down my defenses". The walls I built around myself actually prevented me from learning from mistakes, mine and others. As hard as this seems to watch a giving person become a victim, there is a certain amnount of benefit that comes from loss. Maybe with my walls up, I prevented myself from being a victim, and maybe not being able to grow or change something about myself actually "made" me a victim. Loss of money makes us angry and bitter for a time, loss of growth and change makes us stale and incompetent to face the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have faced this, too, and it is heartbreaking. Like you I have gone through all the emotions and gnashed my teeth.

    In the end, I simply have withdrawn from leaving myself vulnerable in those specific ways. And I don't feel diminished by it. I suppose I have, after looking at the face of humanity over the long reach of history, there are people who steal (particularly kids; they don't have a grasp of the enormity of everything a theft provokes in adults) so if I have things I don't want stolen it is incumbent upon me to take measures to keep one away from the other.

    And yes, it IS a Gordian knot: how to "parent" children who aren't yours yet are under your tutelage or authority -- or even just friendly with you.

    We had a "boy" -- he was just over 18 at the time but with emotional issues -- the nephew of a friend, and he came to the house to visit ... oh, and steal Ken's wallet. It was EXCEEDINGLY disappointing, but it also made me mad.

    But, depending on the amount of money stolen, you also need to remember that what they did was a crime. I regret not even *thinking* about calling the police because that simply let the boy enjoy his bad deed with no repercussions at all (since he avoided us ever after. I had no way to contact him whatsoever, tho' I let his aunt know. It was incontrovertable evidence.)

    I'm sorry to hear about this happening to you and your friend.

    And time & distance do help the healing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. From my Downtown teens: LM
    I think the person who stole the money from that lady's perse that was going to give us a raise for all our hard work. They know they was wrong and they should aplagise

    Mike I think you should fire them for being untrustworthy, a theif and dishonest. When you catch the theif on the day we get paid you should take there money back.

    note: all (mis)spelling is as written by each teen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. From Downtown Teen: BE

    If I were you in this situation I would feel many emotions. I would feel sorry, I would feel hurt, and most of all I would feel angry. For someonone to do such a thing, steal from an innocent person, I think thats one of the worst things a person could do.

    I can understand why the thought of fireing all of your teens and evicting your neighbers crossed your mind. I'm glad you chose not to do that, but I think you should gather everyone who was there that day and speak to them in hopes that someone confesses. After this even I think you should start working with smaller groups, so if this ever happens again it wouldn't be as many people you would have to question. Thats what I feel about this and thats what I think you should do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. From Downtown Teen: RM

    The theft a friends money, meaning to be gaven to us is disrespectful and embarrasing. Our friends are like family to us. Stealing from family is wrong and unecccisary. If you need help you should be able to come to each other for what you need.

    The thought of not paying the teens and rising your tenants rent is understandable and reasonable. It is only right to want to payback the kindness that was given to us. In response to this heartbreaking mishap, I think you should come to each person individual and talk to them to see if they'll confess.

    ReplyDelete