Thursday, January 28, 2010

Ahh Family Estrangement and Family Reunions

Twenty-five years ago, my mother, Bette, passed away. A year later our sister died, as well. A couple of years later, our father, Arthur, also passed. Soon thereafter, our family and extended family went many directions. Unfortunately, years and miles have made for estrangement between some of us.

In a few weeks my family will gather in Kansas City to commemorate our parents and our sister. I took up the challenge of contacting all of my siblings and extended family. After an exhaustive search, I was able to find possible contact information for the last two “missing” members of our family: my youngest niece and my little brother, both of whom heretofore, have not been heard from in twenty-plus years. I attempted to reach each of them by phone. I left messages and then waited. Happily, I only waited a day to hear from our niece. I had not heard from her in about 20 years. Then, yesterday, I heard from my little brother after nearly twenty two years. My joy was complete! I was able to invite both of them to join the rest of the family for the Mass and “reunion” gathering. My niece said she would be there with her husband of several years. The jury is still out on whether our brother will join us.

I wrote the other family members: “Isn't it cool that mom, is still bringing the family together, as she always did in life? After 25 years and over many thousands of miles--literally. From Hawaii to San Diego, to Kansas City, To Saint Louis, to Arkansas and Indiana,--all the way to Rome. Nearly halfway around the world. Through 10 time zones!”

Peace,

Mike Baldwin#end

314-974-7432

1538-A N. 17th Street

Saint Louis, MO 63106

Follow me on Twitter

LinkedIN

From: mlbaldwin@charter.net [mailto:mlbaldwin@charter.net]
Sent: Sunday, January 17, 2010 2:57 PM
To: 'Posterous (mlbaldwin)'
Subject: Fog in the Lou

Peace,

Mike Baldwin

Posted via email from michaelbaldwin

1 comment:

  1. Mike I am so happy that you were able to find all your family members! What a fantastic triumph! I hope the reunion will go well and that familial love will abound!

    ReplyDelete