Monday, March 15, 2010

Fish Fry reviews: St. Gabriel's in South City

α α α α Four Mackerels

My fellow Mackerel Snappers,

As you know, each year I attend three of the same fish frydays. They are: Sta. Cecilia’s, St. Gabriel’s, and St. Pius’. This past week we ventured out to the south city to visit St. Gabe’s. We were not disappointed. Now, I know I complained about Sta. Cecilia’s long line however, St. Gabe’s line was long as well. The difference was the efficiency of getting you through the line. And, of course, the free beer while waiting, helped with the mood. I was told by a parishioner that they had been averaging over 1000 servings of fish dinners each Fryday of Lent thus far. I don’t know how that compares to Sta. Cecilia’s, but that’s a lot of people to get through the door and fed. I noticed too, that like Sta. Cecilia’s, St. Gabe’s has “branded” their fish fry and are selling t-shirts. If I were re-branding Sta. Cecilia’s, I would print a t-shirt that said: “I survived the long line at the “original Mexican Fish Fry””. St. Gabe’s just says: “Fish Fry/St. Gabe’s”. The message is simple and to the point. Just like the meal.

As you can see from my photos, the meal was ample and of good value at $8/person including the free beer. It tasted great. I had the catfish, slaw and pastas. Each item is home made. I sampled two desserts since Teka is on a weight loss diet. Everything was delicious. It is served on school “china” (though, complimentary drinks are served in Styrofoam cups). And, the cafeteria is not a dungeon. All of that adds up to four solid mackerels.

Still missing from any Southside fish fries: hot sauce. I am not sure why they don’t get it, but Cholula goes with everything and especially with fish!

Keep up the great work, St. Gabe’s. See you next year.  On to St. Pius.

Peace,

Mike Baldwin

Posted via email from michaelbaldwin

No comments:

Post a Comment