Thursday, March 11, 2010

Fish Fry reviews: Sta. Cecilia's

ααα and a shrimp ≈ three and a half Mackerels

My kindred mackerel snappers,

I apologize profusely. In the Lenten tradition, mea culpa. It just occurred to me, on the eve of another Friday night Fish Fry, that I had not yet posted my review from last week. I know you are waiting every week for this review so you can choose your next fish fry. It may have been due to exhaustion and overeating, that I neglected my responsibility to my two readers. Exhaustion from standing in line for so long (nearly 2 hours) and, overeating (well, that’s obvious).

Since I first discovered Sta. Cecilia’s “original Mexican fish Fry”(the new marketing brand they added this year) three years ago, I have always rated it very highly. They have great food. My favorite: the Chili Relleno. They have a festive atmosphere that includes dancing and mariachi. They have beer available in-line. They gave out samples of their fried shrimp this year to those waiting in line, as well. They have a friendly and energetic crew. They have it all, except for “sustainable” tableware. They continue to use Styrofoam and plastic and throw everything in the trash. In the past, the ethnic atmosphere and great menu made up a point for the one lost due to Styrofoam. This year, however, my fellow diners agree, that the Styrofoam could not be overcome by atmosphere alone, especially since much of the atmosphere was absorbed waiting nearly two hours in line. In fact, I had planned to attend “another” Mexican fish fry—Our Lady of Guadalupe (which I had heard was very good and had a shorter line), but was talked into going to Sta. Cecilia’s by a friend who ditched us once she saw the line.

So, this year I am awarding the Sta. Cecilia’s fish fry three and a half mackerels. I hope they will be motivated to make the line shorter and to use sustainable tableware in the future. 

I think more ethnic parishes could follow the lead of sta. Cecilia’s by serving ethnic foods and providing a little entertainment. For instance those parishes which still have a high percentage of Irish—fish and chips and some music and dance. Ethnically Asian parishes could really wow us with some exotic foods and cultural symbols. Just sayin’  

Peace,

Mike Baldwin

My grading system:

·         Food quality and selection

·         Value

·         Sustainable practices

·         Atmosphere

·        

Extra points for things like ethnic food and/or entertainment or Free Beer in long lines (hint)…

Posted via email from michaelbaldwin

No comments:

Post a Comment