Tuesday, December 22, 2009

My Year without a car: Aesthetics of Public Transportation

I hosted a friend from Baltimore over the past weekend. In keeping with my plan to not use a car for transit, we used Metro to get around and show her the city.

My spouse and I met her at the airport. Ninety-six pounds of luggage later, we boarded the Metrolink bound for the Civic Center Bus Depot to catch the #74 to my home. Though it was a struggle, it wasn’t bad. We got some stares, but mostly we received helpful suggestions. This friend had not ridden public transit in the United States, so could only compare our Saint Louis BiState/Metro to European systems. Soon she knew to ask for a transfer upon boarding. I use a 30-day pass.

Three of us then, took off for the evening to eat and explore the city. Earlier, I purchased two all-day Metro passes. One for T and one for our guest. These cost $7.50 each. In Kansas City, by comparison, they cost $3.00 each. We headed south on the #30 Soulard to the Civic Center Bus Stop (CCBS). Where we were met with a chorus of helpful suggestions as to the best way to get to Soulard via Metro. Even though we had  planned our trip, we took the suggestion offered by a more experienced rider. Our guest was surprised at the friendliness of Saint Louisans, especially transit riders. Many, of course, also knew T and greeted her personally. After eating, we walked around the neighborhood like tourists. We then boarded a #30 Soulard and returned home to North city. The next day only two of us ventured out via Metro. We had a good time seeing the Arch, Central Business District, and parts of the Central West End. It was very cold and we did a lot of walking from bus stops to our eventual destinations, but all in all, it was a fine way to see the city.

Sunday, we returned to the airport. It was then, I noticed more than ever how unattractive much of the Metrolink corridor to the airport appeared. My friend didn’t comment, but it made me wonder why we were taking this route; for two reasons. First, it is not along any business corridor after Delmar Station. Second, it is ugly. From my perspective, most public transit should aim to get people near businesses and employment centers. Running a line up Natural Bridge or Page or even alongside I-170 makes more sense to me. I guess it is time for me to try to understand how routes are planned, especially those that are made permanent--with tracks.

Reporting live from the #32.

Peace,

Posted via email from michaelbaldwin

No comments:

Post a Comment