Friday, December 18, 2009

My Year without a car: Class and (lack of ) independence are two barriers to using public transit.

During my year without a car, I have discovered some mental barriers to using public transit. Perhaps you know of some too and can tell me about them. Living without a car led me to the acquisition of a moped/scooter. Despite not having a car, a definite class and independence issue, I was still able to feel morally superior and maintain some of my independence. Last Friday, the scooter broke down and I had to take the Natural Bridge bus back home, carrying my helmet with me.

As soon as I boarded the bus, people seeing my helmet, asked me why if I had a cycle, did I ride the bus. When I explained the scooter broke down and would need repairs, there seemed to be some sympathy for me. They realized that I was now relegated to the lower-class  of public transit dependants. I had lost my modicum of independence as well. Why does it seem like such a loss? The loss is one of freedom—independence from the public transit schedule and herd. Despite not having a car, I was still relatively independent. If I wanted to get somewhere on time and directly, I was able to hop on the scooter and go. Now, I must plan further ahead and time my commute by public transit according to its quirks.

Why is class such an issue in Saint Louisan's use of public transportation, but seemingly not such a big deal elsewhere? When I lived in Chicago, I had a car which I used a few times a year—mostly to drive home to Kansas City. When I was in the D.C./Baltimore area, many people used public transportation as well. I was discussing this with friends over dinner recently. Many of them had similar stories about their choice to eschew gasoline dependant transportation altogether and ride bicycles. The image of a bike rider for commuting purposes is not a positive one in Saint Louis, yet.

One nice thing about public transportation is the opportunity to see things around you very differently. Take a look at my recent photos.

Peace,

Posted via email from michaelbaldwin

No comments:

Post a Comment